If you like the thought of being able to see your doctor over a video conference through your smartphone or laptop, you’re not alone. Research by Software Advice shows 75 percent of survey respondents were interested in telemedicine. Telemedicine is becoming more mainstream, allowing patients access to their doctors through high-speed internet connections to promote a healthy lifestyle.
What Is Telemedicine?
Telemedicine and telehealth are common terms you’ve likely heard today. They enable patient care and the exchange of medical information through various avenues such as:
- Video conferencing
- Remote monitoring and control of still image transmission
- Patient portals
- Patient-focused wireless applications
- Continuing medical education
- Nursing call centers
There are various other applications doctors and patients can utilize through telemedicine.
Examples of Telehealth
Let’s take a closer look at some examples of telehealth services that can benefit your healthcare are:
1. Patient Portals
Online patient portals provide an email alternative to communicate about confidential medical information. Through your clinic’s patient portal, you can:
- Communicate with a nurse or your doctor
- Review summaries of past visits and test results
- Request prescription refills
- Request appointment reminders and schedule new appointments
Large healthcare system patient portals might even provide you with a single point of communication for any type of specialist you might see.
2. Virtual Doctor Appointments
Telemedicine often provides virtual appointments where you can see a nurse or your doctor via online videoconferencing. This enables you to receive ongoing care from your doctor when it’s not possible or required for you to make an in-person visit.
3. Remote Patient Monitoring
Various technologies allow your doctor to remotely monitor your health. Some technologies are:
- Devices that measure and wirelessly transmit data like blood glucose, blood pressure or lung function
- Mobile or web-based apps for uploading data to your doctor like blood glucose readings
- Home monitoring devices for the elderly or for those with dementia that detect changes in regular activities like falls
- Wearable devices that record and transmit data automatically like blood glucose, heart rate, posture control, gait, physical activity, tremors or sleep patterns
4. Personal Health Apps
A number of apps are now available to help you better organize your medical information in a single secure place. These health apps might help you:
- Record vital signs
- Store personal health data
- Schedule medication reminders
- Measure and track caloric intake
- Record physical activity like your day-to-day step count
These are only a few of the numerous examples of telehealth services.
Why Telemedicine is the Future of Healthcare
- Reduced costs: Patients spend a great deal of money and time pursuing healthcare. Bringing doctors to patients through a virtual house call can save you money and time.
- More control over your health: If you’re struggling with post-surgical wound care or a serious condition, having a virtual visit with an online doctor in the privacy and comfort of your own home allows you to take control of your own health outcomes.
- Continuity of care: A lack of care coordination is an increasing frustration for doctors and patients alike. Research shows that continuity of care is a major problem in fragmented healthcare systems. Telemedicine is the answer to bringing doctors and healthcare teams in efficient and cost-effective ways.
- Improved access to care: If you live in a rural area, it’s likely to access to certain specialties is nearly nonexistent, requiring you to travel a long distance to seek care. Virtual visits through telemedicine provide you with more access to the care you need.
- Convenience: From a patient perspective, telemedicine makes for more convenient healthcare. Rather than waiting for days or weeks for an appointment, virtual visits are more accessible.
Contact Global Patient Access for your Telemedicine Needs
Global Patient Access is a Telehealth/Telemedicine company that connects patients and families securely with U.S. based doctors for medical consultations in order to encourage a healthy lifestyle. Doctors are available round-the-clock, seven days a week to diagnose numerous common disorders and recommend treatment plans, which includes non-controlled prescription medicine when necessary right at your local pharmacy.
Talk online with a doctor. It’s convenient and affordable access to healthcare anytime, from anywhere, every day of the year. Connect securely with a U.S. doctor for your medical consultation.
Subscribe to our Blog to receive updates on new content